ADDICTED.....AGAIN!
They say the first step to breaking addictions is to first admit to yourself you have a problem. Well, I'm doing just that! I'M ADDICTED TO EXCEDRIN AND DR. PEPPER!
Last summer, I randomly would get headaches. Due to my past history growing up of having to take Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Aleve, PLUS any OTHER kind of anti-inflammatory meds for my knees, heels, and anything else that was inflamed or injured during my soccer career, my body no longer reacts to those drugs...AT ALL! They just DO NOT work! So I had to move to the stronger stuff last summer when I my headaches came on...Excedrin here I come! Things were fine at first but then I started to notice that my headaches cleared up faster if I took excedrin WITH a Dr. Pepper! Fine, no biggy! Then I started noticing that everyday at work around 12:30 or so a headache would kick in, I'd leave for lunch take 2 excedrin and buy a Dr. Pepper and within a few minutes my headache would be gone! This went on ALL summer pretty much EVERYDAY! We were trying to get pregnant (what seemed like FOREVER....) and soI thought that maybe this could be part of my problem. So I decided to end this addiction. It was VERY hard! I really had to fight my headaches everyday. I wouldn't take excedrin and I stayed clear of my dear friend Dr. Pepper! Then BAM the next month I found out I was pregnant. I'm not saying this is the reason I got pregnant or the reason I was having problems GETTING pregnant but hey maybe it helped! Things were going good on the addiction side especially knowing that I wasn't going to have ANY OF THAT when I was pregnant. All was fine and dandy until my headaches started to come back during my pregnancy! Tylenol NEVER helped but I just had to deal! In NO WAY did I want to harm my little baby! So I fought it!
Anyway, my headaches FINALLY subsided and no longer came around. I think my body new I wasn't going to give in. I went the rest of my pregnancy free from headache pain...until the DAY AFTER BOSTON WAS BORN!!!!!! Funny coincidence huh?!? Apparently I had a blood patch done from my epidural that apparently was the cause of the PAINFUL headaches...I mean really these were the WORST I had EVER experienced! That seemed to help for maybe a day then the headaches came back...long story short...after MUCH PAIN, NAUSEA, NEUROLOGISTS VISITS, ER VISITS, CAT SCANS, NOT HOLDING MY SON OR BREASTFEEDING HIM...AND MORE the solution FINALLY came....CAFFEINE!! It took what seemed like an ETERNITY for them to figure it out but the neurologist prescribed me caffeine pills and told me to drink caffeinated drinks. THAT HEALED ME! After about a week and a half my headaches were GONE! Guess my body is meant for caffeine!!
Well...today I got a headache. As I went to the cupboard to grab my excedrin, I realized an old pattern coming about....around 2:30ish every day or so...I get a headache and need a Dr. Pepper with an excedrin! HELP! Will this EVER stop?!? I really do try! At first I tried just taking ONE excedrin with NO Dr. Pepper but that no longer works! I HAVE TO HAVE TWO EXCEDRIN WITH A DR PEPPER! I need to stop! Sometimes I really can't help it...but I can't let this happen! It's not HEALTHY AND I'm trying to cut calories/carbonation so this DOESN'T HELP! So I'm going to try to stop it.....and admitting my problem is the first step...I think this is hereditary because my Great Grandma T always had to start her day with a coke and an excedrin for a little PEP in her day! HA! Bless that woman! You gotta love her!


5 comments:
uh-oh so okay I tried experimenting one night after having a killer headache and not wanting to drink pop or the caffeine pill aka excedrin(you know probably from Mitch, that I once was very addicted to diet vanilla coke). So I decided to take a warm bath and just soak and my headache went away. Mitch and I talked about it and it is because your blood vessels expand because your body is hot and it allows the blood to flow better, thus relieving your headache!! Try it, that is my cure now for almost everything. I do think that one time though you told me that you didn't like baths, but just try it and see if it works!!!
oh forgot one thing...it could also be excentuated (sp?) by dehydration, try drinking lots more water!!
Karlee, Justin is having the same headache problem! He takes excedrin A LOT and we want to get to the bottom of the problem because he doesn't want to keep taking the meds. Anyways, let me know if you come up with something good! GOOD LUCK! I hope you can kick your habit! :)
ok this has nothing to do with addictions, but when i was a little girl my favorite treat was a dr. pepper and twinkies :) sick, huh? yeah right! it's totally awesome! i'd still do it if i wasn't so worried about not being able to stop...ok that does sound like addiction, huh? oh well...good luck. i had the same sort of problem in high school and it turned out that i needed contacts. hope you kick it soon and stop having headaches!
Good point! you DID say the other day that you thought you needed glasses.
Post a Comment