Friday, June 06, 2008

AHHH PARENTHOOD!

Tonight was a stressful evening with Boston. It's that time of night where he's tired, hungry and to add to the problem he's teething. I was trying to be a good wife/mother and make a homemade meal and of course Boston is screaming at my feet wanting to be held. If any of you mothers have tried to cook with a screaming child at your feet that you're tripping over as you try to cook, you know it's NOT easy! I finally get dinner finished, put him in his highchair thinking I'll have some relief of his "whining voice" but no such luck. All throughout dinner it was on and off, eating, throwing food, screaming, etc! So of course no peaceful dinner as I had planned. Kent's not home of course, so I'm dealing with this boy by myself. I threw (not literally don't worry) him in the tub which he always likes. For the first few minutes it was fine and then of course he's pitching a fit because I won't let him stand. In the meantime, Stella is scratching at the pantry door wanting food (those of you who know my dog know how PERSISTENT she is and no matter how many times I demand her to stop, she continues). Stress level rising, trying to remain calm. I count to ten and then get Boston out of the tub, ready for bed after much screaming and fighting and then the sweet change came....

I have really been trying to have a "bedtime" routine for a long time-dinner, tub, lotioned, dressed, story, prayer, bed-I've been a slacker on the story part but really wanted to get back into that habit and then also add a bedtime song to that as well. I've been really good about this routine lately and tonight, it just made my heart smile! After he was all ready for bed, I got two stories that Boston was surprisingly totally into and sat listening to the stories (usually he's squirming to get off my lap and to play or shut the book and play with it like a toy). Then I had prayer with him. Lately I have noticed that he is VERY still during prayer and when I say "amen" I always look at him and say "amen" a second time hoping he'll get that one day he will say it. Well lately, I just get this HUGE smile after the prayer! Almost like he's saying "I can't say amen yet, but I know who we're talking to!" It just makes me heart melt. Then tonight I was singing him "I Love to See the Temple" and I sat on the ground rocking him back and forth and he just sat with his head on my shoulder enjoying my terrible singing voice! It was like his whole demeanor just changed. He went from screaming baby, pitching fights, throwing food to this little lovable guy who was just taking in this sweet little bonding time.

Children are difficult at times and some times they make you want to pull your hair out, but you can't help but love them to pieces when they are sweet and cuddly with you, especially during prayer and "I Love to See the Temple." I don't know if he can understand what I'm saying but I hope he can feel a tiny bit of the spirit during this time because I know I do!

7 comments:

Mom said...

I love you my sweet daughter. You are such a good mama! I'm sure Boston feels the spirit just as much as you do. And I have to say that another "payoff" to being a parent is when you see your children being such good mamas and daddies, raising their children to love the Lord. And the chain continues on and on and on and on..... Eternity :)

Ciara said...

karlee...such a great story. someday I will be a mama (hopefully a good one too) like you and when I am crying and screaming of stress, I will try to remember your stories!

The Nielsons said...

Love you and your cute stories. and I will be at your house tomorrow morning...or maybe afternoon. I'm not sure how long it will take me to get there and I have to install a side car for Isabel to ride in next to my bike. If we don't get there tomorrow...start driving around looking for me. I'll be the one with the hot pink helmet...check the ditches first.

Katie said...

You really are a great mom! Thanks for the inspiration...luke has been gone a lot lately and it really is hard not to pull your hair out. Keep going..you're FABULOUS!

Cardon Family said...

How sweet is that. They can totally feel the spirit...I guess that is all they need sometimes, just a little one on one snuggle time. Too cute...don't those moments make you tear up?

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

You ARE a fabulous mother Karlee. I know you don't think you have any patience, but it might surprise you what other people see in you. Since I have been at your home I found you to be extremely patient with him AND me and my kiddos. You're great. Thanks for your hospitality while we were there and you are probably so glad that we are gone! I don't blame you.

Empress Bop Around the Clock said...

I love this story and it brought sweet happy tears to my eyes. It just makes me more excited and more excited to have kids. Although I'm sure they're hard as heck at times there are some wonderful moments that just make you forget about all those crazy times. You're an awesome mom and I hope I can follow in your footsteps someday...seriously :)