Sunday, October 07, 2012

Bumps, Bruises, and Sickness

Hudson.  Oh Hudson.  He is a hilarious, energetic little boy.  I've never encountered so many scrapes, bruises or blood in Boston's whole FIVE years of life versus Hudson's 20 months!  It seems like there is a new one every day.  Sometimes, I see it happen while other times it seems like things appear out of NO WHERE!  I did see this nice shiner Hudson got from running up the driveway.  He tripped and fell right on his face.  He cried for a second and it was over.  This picture doesn't even show how bad it really was.
One that to this day I have NO idea HOW it happened is this WONDERFUL chipped tooth!  It couldn't have hurt too bad because I never heard a cry!
Aside from all of his recent incidents, he also somehow caught fifths disease.  He had been QUITE fussy for almost 2 weeks.  Some days were good while others were BAD.  He never had any noticeable symptoms (although ONE day he had a low fever) so I was just hoping this wasn't the "new Hudson."  Finally on Thursday a rash broke out on his cheeks.  I got home and took his temperature to find he had a fever and was SO lethargic.  I got him to the doctor right away feeling like the WORST mom ever for being so impatient with him lately while in reality he really had been sick!  After, looking him over the doctor noticed MORE rash on his legs and arms and immediately she diagnosed him with slapped cheek virus or fifths disease.  After reading more up on it, I found that it can be in the incubation period from 4-28 days before noticeable symptoms pop up.  Poor boy.  I felt for him.  We dosed him up with some Tylenol for his fever and THANKFULLY he woke up the next day with the fever gone and the rash clearing  up.  We still have somewhat of a rash but that's normal to last for a bit.  We still laid low and took it easy that day regardless.  Thankfully, once the rash appears he's no longer contagious.  I'm just glad to finally have an answer to his recent grouchiness and I'm even happier he's on the mend!

2 comments:

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

I am laughing so hard right now. I remember when y'all would just laugh at Charlie when he was younger, thinking how hilarious it was that he was ALL BOY. Well, Hudson has truly surpassed him in that category!!! That kid cracks.me.up. And that chipped tooth? How the heck did that happen? So weird!

Glad he is starting to feel better though and will hopefully be back to his happy busy self in no time at all!

Mom said...

Poor little Hudson! His eye looks so sore! He just seems to be such a tough little guy...always into everything and always thinking about his next move. You almost can't take your eyes off the little scamp. Hope now he is feeling better!