Monday, August 06, 2012

More Louisiana Fun

After the wedding, Kristin and I stayed a little bit longer like we usually do in the summer.  This time, we were lucky to have family around for a few extra days (some planned on it, other's were forced due to missing flights because of crazy Louisiana weather.  Don't know how happy they were to stick around but we sure were glad)!  I love having family we don't get to see very often around since they live so far away!  One of the days, we headed down to New Orleans.  Its always interesting to know what people think when they visit N.O. for the first time.  It's definitely different from other places...its dirty and smelly but has a flare all of its own with great food, music, history and a personality all of its own.  For lunch, they chose to eat at BUBBA GUMPS!  I had never eaten there before and thought it was pretty tasty!
 Then we went and explored a little bit of the city.  We walked along the River Walk to see the MIGHTY MISSISSIPPI
 Then we hit up Jackson's Square and listened to some of the street performers.  It was pretty entertaining...not JUST the music but the people layin around on all the benches.  Crazy that people actually live their life like this.
 And yes, they definitely expect you to donate to their buckets
 Luckily, St. Patrick's Cathedral was open.  The many times I've been down, I haven't been able to make it inside because it has always been closed.  It was gorgeous inside.
 Surprisingly the kids didn't make a peep and we went in and out with little noise made....although Charlie did blow out a few prayer candles thinking they were more like BIRTHDAY candles.  Whoops!  Hope that person's prayer still reaches heaven and gets answered!
 We did some more walking around and in shops and seeing more street performers and then we hit up a little Cafe du Monde.  Love these beignets.  Its a MUST anytime you go to New Orleans.
 By then we were exhausted and headed home.  I had to snap a picture of the graves as we drove by.  I've always wanted to do a graveyard tour but haven't yet.  I don't know why but it's never been odd that they bury their dead above ground.  More neat and different.
 So glad these faces were here to visit.  I know my mom loves having her family in town.
 And we loved being in town with family too!

1 comment:

Mom said...

This was such a fun day! I know Aunt DeAnn was stressed out about not being able to get home. I felt so badly for them. But guess I was a little selfish in wanting them to stay. And next time, we are DEFINITELY going to watch Forrest Gump before we go to the restaurant so we can get our FREE dessert!!!