Thursday, March 19, 2015

new beginnings+more

First of all, let me say I LOVE my calling.  I've been in YW for just over 5 years now and all though at times I'm tired, I still think there's no other calling I'd rather be in than working with the youth.  They are great and I love the relationships we have formed over the years.
Anyway, so when planning our activities out for this year, the youth apparently wanted to bring back an oldie---Silly Spaghetti Dinner.  Basically in a nutshell, you do a three course meal (salad, spaghetti, then pudding) and they have to eat with a RANDOM utensil (i.e. spatula, wooden spoon, baby spoon,  wisk, etc) while both hands are tied to the people on either side of them.  We had a pretty good turnout this go around with a few non-member friends who came too.
We asked each youth to bring a box of cereal to donate to a local food bank (that was our "service" act for the evening that we are trying to squeeze in anyway we can this year). 
I think we collected about 33 boxes!
While the youth were eating their dessert, I decided it would add a little spice in the mix if we shoved a few of the girls' faces into their pudding.
 They didn't expect it at all.
 It turned into a little bit of a pudding war zone
 But it was a BLAST!
 We also had New Beginnings 2 weeks after.  The theme this year for the youth is "Embark in the Service of God".  Love this theme (okay, I love whatever theme they give every year).  We decided to stick with the theme and the whole nautical thing they had going on for our program this year.  I think it turned out cute!  There's seriously some WONDERFUL talent in YW!  If you need something built, you got it.  If you need something designed, you got it.  If you need delicious food, you got it.  If you need something sewn, you got it.  It's quite awesome.  Everyone pulls their weight which makes things SOOOO nice.
I feel like the program went over well too.  We decided this year that we wanted to challenge the girls to perform as many service acts as possible throughout the year.  We had t-shirts designed (again thanks to wonderful talent in YW)  and gave each girl their own "Embark" shirt to be worn any time we are doing a service activity (kind of like the whole HELPING HANDS tees).  I'm so bummed I didn't get a picture of them!  The goal is just to help motivate these girls to look for any opportunity BIG or SMALL to serve.  The point is to be aware of these opportunities and to act  just as Christ did.  Hopefully they will catch the service bug and will realize not only how much it effects others but also how it makes them feel as well and how much service changes others and yourself.

No comments: