Early this year Kent and I found great ticket prices to NYC. My little sister, Kelli, was living there for a few months and had just had her baby so we thought it would be perfect time to finally show Kent the city.
So in March, it was NYC or BUST!
When we arrived, we dropped our bags off at the hotel and headed right to Kelli's apartment to meet little Dakota.
My mom was still in town helping Kelli so it was fun to see her for a day before she headed back. When we got to Kelli's, our good friend Ciara and her momma Lupe were there visiting for lunch. Ciara suggested takeout for lobster rolls. Now I'm not a big lobster (or seafood) fan but I decided to give it a whirl. They were DELICIOUS.
Shortly after, we had to head to get ready for our dinner reservations/Broadway play that night.
I totally goofed and booked the WRONG location for Carmine's so we settled for another delicious Italian restaurant instead. We weren't disappointed...although I swear our server tried to take something out of my purse....
We had a little time before our show so we hit up Times Square. It's always busy and chaos.
Then to Phantom we went. Kent had never seen a Broadway play and I was excited to take him to this one. One of my favorites!
The night ended with a stop at Junior's to let Kent try the cheesecake (I don't do cheesecake). He loved every bit---so much that we stopped there 3 times during our trip.
The next morning, we slept in and missed our breakfast reservation (whoops). I was a tad sad about that but got over it quickly when we hit up Chelsea Market and I scored a DELICIOUS BLT at a quant little place. I love Chelsea Market.
Once we browsed Chelsea Market, we rushed to take a cab down to the 9/11 Memorial.
We thought we would miss our time slot but we made it JUST in time.
This is one of my favorite things about New York. It's emotional, touching and history that I experienced. I'm so glad Kent and I were able to share it together.
One thing I did VERY differently with Kent from other times I've gone was taking the subway 99% of the time. Kent enjoyed taking it because it reminded him of living in Italy (and not to mention it was cheaper). I hated it because it takes longer, you walk farther, you get on the wrong train, there's train construction---this line down, that line down--just not the easiest way to always get around. I told Kent we could never do Amazing Race together because we would definitely just fight about which way we REALLY needed to go.
We walked the Brooklyn Bridge (something I never cared to do again after my first time and I've now done it again twice)
and headed to our FAVORITE pizza spot EVER---GRIMALDI'S. It was fun taking Kent to the "original."
After an early dinner, I took Kent to Brooklyn Ice Cream Shoppe. It was a little too chilly for ice cream for me (plus sweets make me sick right now) so I settled for some hot chocolate while Kent enjoyed his ice cream.
We did a little people watching from the Brooklyn Pier and enjoyed the Manhattan skyline.
Then after a little struggle finding the right subway, we finally made it to the Brooklyn Nets game!
The stadium is basically brand new and quite fancy Mr. Jay Z!
Even though Brooklyn choked and lost to the Celtics, we still enjoyed the show (and we spotted Ellen Pompeo courtside).
Saturday, we trekked up to the Upper UPPER Westside to Ciara's baby shower. Luckily enough I got to be in town for that fun celebration (no pics). Although it took us a decade to make it up there after much subway confusion (see what I mean), we made it and Kent was quite proud (I was just bugged).
Afterwards, we made our way to Central Park. Let's just say Central Park is not as impressive in the winter time. Kent wasn't too impressed and I was bummed it wasn't the REAL effect.
We stopped into FAO Swartz where Kent was extremely impressed with how BIG of a toy store it really was AND how excited he was to see toys he had as a kid (I don't think he realized Target sells the same toys nowadays).
We shopped up and down 5th and Park then stopped by Kelli's for another visit.
We had reservations to one of my favs--Maxx Brenner Chocolate by the Bald Man--and I wasn't about to miss THIS reservation.
Sadly, my beloved BALT was a bit tainted since Ciara ate it the night before and got food poisoning. I tried it anyway because I love it so much but it just wasn't the same.
Kent enjoyed the meal AND the dessert (again I couldn't eat it).
That night, we made it to the Empire State Building for a little Sleepless in Seattle reenacting.
I had never done this before so it was a first for us both. We both left VERY impressed and thought it was completely worth the money.
We went to church the next morning and since the church building is inside the temple building, Kent got to see the temple.
Then we tried a new place called Penelope's for lunch in Midtown. That place did NOT disappoint. It was a fun, quirky little brunch spot. The hot chocolate was the BEST I've tried in the city too.
Then we headed to little Italy where Kent found very little people who spoke Italian. He did talk to two older store owners who knew some Italian and a little bit about the places Kent lived in Italy. It was a small missionary moment too. It was fun seeing him in his little happy place talking about Italy to those old men.
For lunch, we were convinced by some Italian man on the street to try some "authentic" Italian food. Well, the food was somewhat authentic but there was absolutely NO Italian servers inside---just Hispanic. We got tricked. The food was still delicious and I did take the risk of trying this cannoli. It actually was yummy and almost worth the sickness I felt afterwards.
Kent wanted to see the rave of Chinatown so we shopped a few knock-off purses and showed him the ropes of those crazies. Let me just say, I felt MUCH safer going into the basements with Kent by my side this time.
That night we got takeout and headed to see this face one more time.
On our way to Kelli's, I noticed a sign outside this townhouse and made Kent call because I wanted to know the price.
4,000 sq feet
A SMALL backyard
1 car garage
5 bedroom
8 bathroom
4 stories
All for a measly $22,000/month.
I'll be moving in next month...
Each time I've been to NYC, I've been dying to go to a show filming. Kent agreed to attempt this with me. I tried to get tickets months in advanced but tickets to Live with Kelli & Michael were sold out in a day so we decided to attempt stand by. We were #3 & #4 in line. Everything I read almost GUARANTEED the first 15 people in standby got in to the show. Well....that's probably true unless they OVERBOOK a show and even people who HAD tickets didn't get in!
So waking up at 4:15 and standing in the FREEEEEZING cold was all done in vain.
I seriously have a good husband.
It was all about the experience, right?
I have convinced myself all is well because Robin Roberts was in that day for Kelly anyway....
After our disappointment, we headed up to Magnolia Bakery for Kent to try to the banana pudding everyone raves about. I HATE banana pudding so I just let him taste test. He thought it was delicious....I enjoyed my hot chocolate (Penelope's is better).
Then we took our last few subway rides down towards Times Square. I think at this point my uptight pregnancy hormones regarding the subway had started to subside.
We did a little souvenir shopping for the boys at the M&M's store
Then we headed over to Rockefeller Center
It took everything in me to NOT buy these shirts I stumbled upon in the NBC store.
Before it was time to call it a trip, we stopped by Carmine's to see if we could make it in for lunch. Luckily we did and LOVED every last bite (I've eaten very little things in NYC I didn't love).
Kent finally appeased me and decided against taking a subway all the way to Newark for our plane so we got in our 3rd cab drive from the weekend, headed to the airport and back home to our boys.
Until next time NYC!
1 comment:
It looks like ya'll had such a wonderful time, so fun!
Post a Comment