Thursday, August 13, 2015

boston's baptism day

Boston turned 8 which means he finally arrived at the age where he could decide if he wanted to be baptized. 
 I know, I know at age 8 do they really understand the importance of baptism and do they really MAKE the choice themselves?  Kent and I tried really hard as parents to explain baptism, what it meant, the importance of it, why we personally did it and then told Boston to pray about it himself and decide if that was something he wanted to do.
He knew he wanted to be baptized already but he prayed anyway after me pestering him about it.  He finally said he did feel good when he prayed about it. 
So, baptism it was.
A date was set and he had his interview with the bishop.
 The day arrived and it was a little stressful and chaotic initially so much so that I didn't ever get pictures of him in his adorable new suit.  I will say, girls get to pick out pretty new white dresses and I was a little bummed that with having boys that's not something we get to do.  So, I decided I would buy the boys their first suit when they turn 8 (a suit Boston HATES to wear).  Also, we decided that when the boys turn 8, that's when they should start with the white shirt and tie every Sunday (trust me, this kills me...it's SO boring).
Anyway, seeing Boston and Kent in their whites, was pretty neat and surreal.  It's pretty special seeing and knowing that your husband is worthy to baptize our child.
 The baptism itself was perfect. 
 
 Boston picked the program as follows:
Conducting: Shaun Stracener
 
Pianist: Becky Bluth
Chorister: Kari Combe
Opening Song: When Jesus Christ was Baptized
Opening Prayer: Kristin Withers
Talk on Baptism: Randy Bluth
Baptism of Boston Hooper
Performed by Kent Hooper
Witnesses: Chad Withers & Randy Bluth
Special Musical Number: When I am Baptized
Rylee and Sophie Withers
Talk on the Holy Ghost: Carol Hooper
Welcome to Primary: Kelly Dennis
Closing Remarks: Shaun Stracener
Closing Song: I'm Trying to be like Jesus
Closing Prayer: Brandon Combe
 
It was so wonderful having so many family and friends there to support Boston on his special day.  I really will say it was a very spiritual, uplifting day for our family.  I really can't explain the feelings that were felt.  I'm pretty sure Boston doesn't fully understand the importance of baptism but I do know that Heavenly Father is very pleased with him and so are we.  He is such a wonderful example to us as parents, his siblings and others around him.  I'm completely proud of him and I never want to forget the wonderful feeling that was felt that day.  It truly was a special, special day.

No comments: