Our move is coming closer and because of that, we decided to make one quick girl's trip to Austin. Sadly, a lot of people couldn't make it work that weekend but we had fun with those who could! It's hard working everyone's schedules in May.
Most of us had never really explored Austin. It's crazy to think I've lived in Texas for 8 years yet haven't been to our state's capitol!
We left right after the kids got to school on Friday morning and made the drive over.
By the time we arrived it was lunch and we headed straight to a recommended Mexican hole in the wall food joint--Habeneros. This honestly was probably my least favorite meal of the trip but still wasn't bad.
Also, Mimi was only able to come for the day on Friday but we were glad she came for at least PART of the trip.
The weather was a tad rainy but we decided to go with our Segway plans and tour downtown Austin. I think I almost peed my pants and laughed so hard I cried. I'm pretty sure we thought we were going to die when we had our test lesson and I think our tour guide didn't realize what she was in for.
Can you make rain ponchos look good?
After a few mishaps, we can say we raced and became so amazing we could do it with no hands!
Afterwards, we headed to our ADORABLE hotel, Hotel Ella, to say goodbye to Mimi and clean up for dinner.
That night, we ventured to HOPDODDY for dinner. There was a long line outside so Ash and Em headed to grab pizza and cupcakes across the street to taste test while we waited (both delicious).
When we finally got seated and ate, that burger and fries DID NOT disappoint.
To.die.for.
This picture I feel like sums up the weekend, laughter and more laughter.
We hurried over to Congress Bridge where MILLIONS of bats are perched underneath.
Every night at sunset, they all fly out.
We waited and waited and WAITED.
Finally some came out but it wasn't quite like we thought it would be. The little bat man we ran into informed us that their babies are about to be born so May/June time isn't the best time to see the bats. A tad disappointing.
Afterwards, we decided to explore 6th Street which came with some interesting people.
We never quite found the dueling piano bar we were in search of...
And although this wasn't on 6th street, we did see this protest while we were there just outside the State Capitol. They're really trying hard to legalize that stuff because after all, they are "norml". I swear the people watching in Austin is amazing.
The next morning we found the Gourdough's food truck. Can we say DELICIOUS?!?! I mean really! The donuts were HUGE and put us in a serious sugar coma but were totally worth each bite. In order to calm down our sugar rush, Ashley and I tried the breakfast tacos of the truck right next to Gourdough's and they were as equally delicious.
Our goal was to go paddle boarding that morning but because of lightening, we couldn't make that happen. So instead, we did a little shopping. Shopping always makes you hungry so we headed for a light snack before lunch. Many people recommended the KOREAN BBQ at Chi'lantro. We had NO idea WHAT that was but tried out their kimchi fries. They were to die for. I'm still craving them.
I was thrilled to spot Shake Shack! I had NO idea they were anywhere outside NYC. After speaking to the manager, she informed us Dallas will be getting one soon. SCORE!
When we filled our bellies, Emily and Jan convinced us to rent bikes and ride around the river. When we saw tandem bikes, we knew it was a must.
We rode and we rode and we RODE some more. Jan and Em said we wouldn't ride around the whole thing but somehow they missed the turn off (terrible navigators) and we were forced to bike the WHOLE thing. TWO hours later, we made it back to the bike shop RIGHT before he was ready to lock his doors for the night.
Our quick little getaway was coming to a close but NOT before we hit up SALT LICK BBQ on the way out. I'm SOO glad we did because that place was DELICIOUS!!!! It lived up to all the hype and I seriously can't wait to eat it again (I actually feel that way about EVERYTHING we ate while in Austin....I think I'm starting to turn into a foodie).
We finally hit the road and made it home just past 1 am, JUST in time for Mother's Day.
Love these girls and LOVE that we got to spend a hilarious weekend together!
And Austin, you did NOT disappoint. The city was clean, the people were friendly, and the food...oh that food.
1 comment:
This looks so fun! We never did Austin during our time Houston either, but it looks awesome! PS. Jan was totally in my ward in Summerwood and she visit taught me :) You'll have to tell her I say hello! Good luck with your move!!
Post a Comment