DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT NOR NEVER WILL BE OR EVER PLAN ON BEING A CREATIVE, CRAFTY PERSON!!!!
Last week my mom sent me this little gingerbread house to make. I was SOO excited because last year I saw many of you blogging about your little gingerbread house you made as a family. I thought "What a cute tradition! Maybe we'll start that! I could do that!" So we decided we'd have a nice little family night on Monday, make our little house and then watch The Nativity. Sometimes what we envision in our head doesn't come out the way we expected....
Already that day, Boston had thrown up and had a fever. I thought he'd sit just fine on the table while we decorated....WRONG! He refused to be put down and just wanted to be held (what else do you expect from a sick 18 month old?) which left my hands full! Finally, we just decided to watch The Nativity, put Boston to bed and then complete this little project. I search for The Nativity and sure enough I can't find it! In fact, now that I think about it, I don't even believe we own it so why I thought we did I have NO IDEA! So that failed and my idea of the perfect FHE slowly began to fade. We decided to put Boston to bed a 7 pm and on we went to complete our house...Kent made the "mortar" and I kept telling him to make it just right and to add water if needed. I doubted his final product but he assured me it was okay....until he started trying to put up the walls. Yep, sure enough the frosting was too hard! I laughed and gave him a hard time when all the sudden a whole busted in the side of the bag where frosting was just seeping out! All this just made Kent's blood boil and stress levels rise (I'm sure my laughter wasn't helping either). At this point, I'm doing okay and just trying to stay calm about it.


We put green frosting on the roof and I thought, okay this is going to go smoothly now that the house is put together. My blood pressure lowers and I'm thinking, maybe this WILL work out...

Kent then insisted on eatting it to which I said, "NO WAY!" I don't think you're supposed to eat them anyway....are you? Even if you are supposed to, that was NOT the time to try!


My side of the house vs. Kent's side of the house


8 comments:
Well at least you tried it. And it really doesn't look that bad. I think it is cute! But as I mentioned in our phone conversation...gingerbread houses and children at Christmas...way too much stress. Guess that is why I never started that tradition in our family. But I really think it looks great and you are being way too critical of your first try, sweetie!
HA HA I love your commentary!!! Now I understand why Kent had to join Brett for one game last night...guess he had some steam to work off. I thought he was doing construction management??? KENT you should be able to build this with one hand!!!
I'm with mom...I think it turned out darling. I'm actually quite impressed. Serisously. It looks good. But you guys are too funny!
I think it looks great! You are so funny! I am like you, I build things up in mind and continue to be dissapointed! Brandon always tells me I want my life to be a fairytale! I usually make mine out of Graham Crackers, so from where I am sitting, it looks dang good!
Yeah by the title you made it seem like it was going to turn out horrible! And guess what? IT DIDN'T!!! At ALL!! It's beautiful!!
I totally laughed my head off through that post. I swear that is SO normal to anyone that dreams up the perfect FHE. It happens to me EVERYTIME. And "you know who" is trying to dampen those nights as much as possible. What's important is that you have some good family time together and although it is SO hard to keep your cool in times like that, try, try, try. And I think your house turned out great.
What is it with men hating directions? Ken always fights me on that!!! Y'alls house turned out anyway, though!
That story cracked me up! I can just picture all of that, but i think your house turned out pretty cute. We tried a gingerbread train last year...ya our finished product did not look like the picture on the box!
Post a Comment