On Wednesday, I got a call from the school nurse saying that Boston was playing football at recess and tripped over a friend then fell on his shoulder. She thought I better come get him and take him home.
When I picked him up, she suggested FOR SURE taking him to the doctor because he couldn't raise his right arm.
I took him straight to the ER to get him checked out.
He was in some pretty bad pain.
The ER was QUICK and we found out fairly quickly that he indeed had a broken clavicle.
When the doctor said that it was broken, he walked out and Boston looked panicked. I asked him if he was okay, then the tears started coming for the first time. He said "But mom, I didn't want it to be my right arm! Now I can't throw or write!" After I assured him that in time, yes he will be able to do those things again, he calmed down.
The ER doc said that usually when he sees a break like this in adults, they need a metal plate inserted because the bones can't heal on their own.
Of course this makes any mother panic.
Thanks to some amazing friends we found a WONDERFUL ortho who got us in first thing the next morning.
After some time at the specialist, he said we didn't need surgery! With kids this young, they are so resilient that this break will heal on its own. THANK GOODNESS!
Now just how do you keep a 6 year old boy from doing any more damage with just a sling for the next 6 weeks??
Meanwhile, I'm VERY grateful for pain killers AND great friends that care so much!
2 comments:
That last picture is just so sad! I'm so sorry for your little guy, I dread the day we are in the ER for our first broken bone. With boys, I know it will come! Hope he heals well and soon! Merry Christmas!
test
Post a Comment