Friday, February 23, 2007

a·ne·mi·a –noun

1. Pathology. a quantitative deficiency of the hemoglobin, often accompanied by a reduced number of red blood cells and causing pallor, weakness, and breathlessness.

2. a lack of power, vigor, vitality, or colorfulness: His writing suffers from anemia.

According to my blood test results from my last doc appointment, I'm border line anemic. Basically meaning I don't have enough iron in me. So they basically have put me on a high iron diet. BOO! They gave me a list of foods to start eating everyday....now you tell me if any of this sounds good to you:

  • Malt-O-Meal
  • Lima Beans, Refried Beans, Soy Beans
  • Kidney Beans, Black-eyed Peas, Lentils (?)
  • Cashews, Almonds
  • Walnuts
  • Spinach (YUCK!)
  • Prune Juice (who drinks that?!)
  • Beef
  • Tofu (make me THROW UP!)
  • Soy Milk
  • Sesame Seeds
  • Sardines, Shrimp (not for me!)
  • Tuna (can't take the smell right now..)
  • Broccoli (COULD do...)
  • Wheat germ (NEVER bought or had in my LIFE)
  • Apricots, Raisins
  • Prunes, Plums (plums are fine)
  • Molasses (SO SICK!)
  • Total Cereal (maybe if I add alot of sugar)
  • Cream-of-wheat (mom made that too much that I hate it)
  • Captain Crunch, Kix, Trix, Wheaties, Cheerios (SO COULD DO THESE!)

So as you can tell there's not too much fun things to eat on this kind of diet. Luckily I wasn't out of luck though because they decided to give me prescription for iron pills. ALTHOUGH the pharmacist warned me that constipation could be a likely side effect...oh well, I'm willing to risk it. BUT I was reading the label and it says "Take withOUT food and don't lie down 30 minutes after taking and take with 8oz of water." FREAK! Its harder to take this pill then you would think! The things I do for the little one I love...

2 comments:

Ciara & Lyle said...

Karlee,

Good luck! I know you can do this! Sounds like this will help with your healthy lifestyle in general eh? Ok, seriously, we all need to improve this because I guarantee you all of us would be borderline anemic if we took the test.

p.s. Lyle is freakin getting the iphone and I might too this summer! AGH! CANNOT WAIT!

Ciara & Lyle said...

Hey, what's your mailing address?

SORRY lupe and I missed the shower...I was at a dumb work conference with teenyboppers (not cool). LOVE and hope everything was super fun!