STRESS!
Okay so I know I said I wasn't really going to be posting much until we got to Houston but I need help. I'm officially stressing and I HAVE to post so that I can get the help of all you mother's out there you have kids who are sleeping in a big boy (or girl) beds!
Since we leave our whole life behind when we leave for the summer and bring the BARE MINIMUM with us, this means I will be transitioning Boston into a BIG BOY BED EARLY!!!! I didn't want to do this until he was two but we now only have approximately TWELVE days of my son sleeping so soundly and easily contained in a crib. After that, BAM big boy bed here we come! I'm TERRIFIED of this; not because I'm not excited to decorate and buy new things (Kent's NOT so excited about this) but because I'm so used to the simplicity of just laying Boston down and knowing there is no way for him to crawl out of bed and give me any hassle. He goes RIGHT to sleep! Now with this whole big boy bed thing I don't think naps and bedtime will be as simple. THAT'S the part I'm stressing over! So if ANY of you have advice that made this transition period a little bit easier, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know! I guess I also better head to Barnes and Nobles and pick up a few books to read before we begin this process!
10 comments:
Sorry...no experience with this :( I can't wait to learn from you though!
Here's what I've found:
With Livi, who had no sleep schedule to speak of, it was harder to get her to stay in bed. We tried the whole, sit next to her bed and each night move closer to the door, until eventually she didn't need us to go to bed. It worked, but took a lot (and you can't talk or look at them either!)
With Spencer, I had your FANTASTIC sister's advice (Babywise), and he was on a sleep schedule and was sleeping through the night, etc when we got him in a toddler bed. It was SO much easier. You might have to sit next to him the first night, or whatever, but honestly it was a world of difference because he KNEW it was bed time.
I hope the transition is smooth!! Keep us updated and GOOD LUCK!
We put Wesley in a big bed when he was 15 months, we wanted him to be ready when Katie came and stole the crib 2 months later. It wasn't as bad as i thought, i mean we had to lock him in his room and he'd cry but after a couple nights he stayed he understood that he had to stay. i wouldn't let him cry for longer than 30min to start if you do it that way. just put him back in bed and do it again. good luck!!
We tried turning Jackson's bed into a todler bed and after 4 days I begged Jesse to turn it back into a crib. 5 am every morning I would awake to a him sleeping directly on top of me, and at night he would run in and out of our room. See, after the kiddies go to bed that is our quiet time. He would also try to tackle Ben in his sleep. So maybe this summer when Ben is out of school we will try it again. I hope your experience goes much better than mine did.
We tried turning Jackson's bed into a todler bed and after 4 days I begged Jesse to turn it back into a crib. 5 am every morning I would awake to a him sleeping directly on top of me, and at night he would run in and out of our room. See, after the kiddies go to bed that is our quiet time. He would also try to tackle Ben in his sleep. So maybe this summer when Ben is out of school we will try it again. I hope your experience goes much better than mine did.
I felt much like you did when Austin was making this same transition but I had to do it because Mya would need the crib pretty soon after he was two. I used one of the bed rails that you can put on the side of the bed. I don't remember having too much trouble. He didn't wake up at night either so once he fell asleep I knew I wold not have to worry about him until the morning. He did hop out of bed to come and get us in the morning though. I found that the bed rail gave a great transition period where he felt the security of four walls but learned to sleep in a big bed. We put Mya in a big bed when we moved into our new house and we just put her down to sleep on the first night we were in the house. She fell right asleep and no problems, no bed rail or anything. That is Mya's personality though. Of course we made a big deal of her "big girl bed" so it was a fun thing for her. We are putting Aliyah off...I don't want to invest in a new bed yet and she is happy where she is.
Hope this helps. Don't stress. Expect that is it going to work out fine and then have a plan B just in case.
Hey Karlee...so you don't know me, but I was friends with Kent in high school and read your blog. ;) I also remember you b/c my little brother used to have a crush on you at Wedgewood Elementary. I only know this b/c you worked the car pool patrol thing, and we used to pick him up. Haha. Anyway, I'm friends with Jamie Hubs. That's how I found your blog. ANYWAY...all that to say, I live in Houston! Spring, actually. I see that you are coming down here for the summer, and I wasn't sure if y'all knew ppl down here or not. I don't know exactly what area you'll be in, but if you are close to us, you and Boston are welcome to do stuff with our play group, or just come play with us. There are so many fun things to do here with kids! My little boy is exactly a year younger than Boston. But we do have some 2 year old friends. ;) Anyway, let me know where you all will be. We live in Spring, which is NW Houston. It's not as far north as The Woodlands, but it's about halfway between downtown and The Woodlands (a little closer to The Woodlands.) Anyway, just let me know! Or we could even get together with Kent and my husband, too. I hope you don't think I'm stalker weird for telling you this! Kent knows me as Lindsay Shoumaker. My blog is "Lindsay and Kyle" on Jamie's blog. OK, well, maybe I'll see you this summer. Good luck with the move. Don't stress, and PLEASE let us know if we can help y'all in any way!
Lol, okay I'll vouch for Linds, let her stalk away and go have play dates!
Hey gurl! As far as the swim suits I got them online on victoria secret! They are having a sale! Hows tejas? WARM? I'm SOOOO jealous! However I am going home this weekend for a week! Woot woot! Ps...your lil boy is adorable! I need to have me one of those.
Jack wasn't too bad to deal with when we made the transition. The first night was pretty bad. At first we tried to whole staying in the room, and moving farther away from the bed, but it wasn't working so we just shut the door and left. He cried for probably a couple hours (he couldn't open his door at the time) but then he fell asleep on the floor. The next day for nap was a lot easier and it just got easier each day. Boston will figure it out. It wasn't nearly as stressful as I was anticipating! A few rough days and he will be fine!
Post a Comment